Thursday

Author Review: Kristan Higgins

Hello again, Raiders!
I've been neglecting the site shamefully all year. I finished University at the end of 2011, and have been trying to find work in my industry since I returned from my American holiday (that same year).

I spent a lot of last year working part time and trying to find work in journalism or publishing. Unfortunately, my priorities have been finding full-time work.

In March I completed an internship with Universal Magazines in Melbourne. I wrote articles for Complete Weddings Melbourne, Poolside Showcase, and Choosing a School Victoria.

In better news, I started fulltime work at the ANZ branch of Oxford University Press in July.
I'm working in the General division dealing with English Language Teaching, Dictionaries, Children's, Trade and PNG school books.
It's been great fun, and I've decided to go to night school next year to complement my work experience. To that end, I've decided to get back to blogging. I'm still reading like crazy, and I should share that love!

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook
Age Group: Yound Adult/Adult
Genre: Romance
Source: eBooks/Library
Lootability: ****

I've stolen Kristan's personal trivia from her website in lieu of a bio or book blurb. I follow Kristan on facebook and she's so quirky, I hope this will represent her better:

Nickname: Mrs. Jeter
Favorite drink: Iced coffee,  heavy on the half-and-half
Phobia: Birds, especially hummingbirds. It's a phobia; it doesn't have to make sense.
Met husband while standing in line; engaged six weeks later, married within the year. Some say trollop, some say true love.
Daughter is named for famed American author and Provincetown bar. Son is named for Irish saint and the coolest 80s pop icon ever.
Favorite book of all time: Gone With the Wind. I've read it 14 times. Twelve of those times were in a row. 
Secret talent: Whistling. Well, I guess it's not so secret any more, is it? I also make excellent toast.

I first discovered Kristan Higgins when I picked up a copy of Catch of the Day and read it in one sitting. Incidentally, I read it in bed the night before I left for America (my first big holiday with my partner, and my first overseas trip), and Kristan's books have been a relaxing reminder of my pre-holiday excitement ever since.

What I Like: Kristan Higgins writes beautifully sweet and flawed female heroines, some with a few extra kilos, a kid or a dog with a tendency for chewing shoes, but they are wonderfully real characters that I want to sit and have a class of wine with.

Her heroines, and her heroes, make stupid mistakes, turn away from the people they need most in the world and seem to embarrass themselves with astonishing regularity but if a woman can't blush with dignity, then she doesn't deserve her own book. Every time I re-read Higgins books I have a different favourite, but I think Parker Somebody to Love, and Maggie Catch of the Day, are the most endearing.

My favourite thing about Higgins books are the dogs. Every woman, single or not, should have a sweet, naughty, loveable dog to keep them company and love them unconditionally. Angus from Too Good To Be True is a show chewing, man biting terror who provides Grace with the love she needs after her fiance falls in love with her sister.

What I Don't Like: There's not a lot to complain about. You get what you want from Higgin's books, a sweet romantic story with a sexy man and a cute dog. Sometimes the character decisions make you want to tear your hair out and scream 'Get together already!', but if a romance doesn't have bumps in the road, then it's going to be a pretty boring story.

Check out Higgins latest book, The Perfect Match, available now (as an ebook or on bookdepository, if you're in Oz like me!).

What if the perfect match is a perfect surprise? 
Honor Holland has just been unceremoniously rejected by her lifelong crush. And now—a mere three weeks later—Mr. Perfect is engaged to her best friend. But resilient, reliable Honor is going to pick herself up, dust herself off and get back out there… or she would if dating in Manningsport, New York, population 715, wasn't easier said than done. 
Charming, handsome British professor Tom Barlow just wants to do right by his unofficial stepson, Charlie, but his visa is about to expire. Now Tom must either get a green card or leave the States—and leave Charlie behind. 
In a moment of impulsiveness, Honor agrees to help Tom with a marriage of convenience—and make her ex jealous in the process. But juggling a fiancĂ©, hiding out from her former best friend and managing her job at the family vineyard isn't easy. And as sparks start to fly between Honor and Tom, they might discover that their pretend relationship is far too perfect to be anything but true love….

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...