Sunday

Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook
Publication Date:
February 28th, 2012
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN:  006197806X
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian/Romance
Lootability: ****
I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, pushing aside thoughts of Alex, pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, push, push, push, like Raven taught me to do.The old life is dead.But the old Lena is dead too.I buried her.I left her beyond a fence,behind a wall of smoke and flame.
What a frightening thing love can be, whirring and swirling around us, throwing off our judgement and hitting us when we least expect it. It's scary to be so vulnerable - terrifying even. Lauren Oliver captures this fear and turns it into a nightmare where love is a highly infections and highly dangerous disease. The moment you turn 18 you receive the treatment.
In Delirium Lena discovered that life was not worth living without freedom and was willing to sacrifice almost anything to get it, in Pandemonium she must accept the only sacrifice she never wanted to make and build a life for herself in the Wilds.

What I Liked: Once again the science of Oliver's world calls for recognition. She has created an arena for mass hysteria while creating an ideal well worth fighting for. In Delirium, I loved the way romances were twisted to turn the sweetness into selfishness, and the way attraction is frowned upon; it's a very puritan, adult society. In Pandemonium further emphasis is put on the Book of shhh! and the DFA feature heavily in Lena's new life, in one of her new lives. The DFA tell us what we need to know about this new world and Lena's new life. It continues the propaganda and takes it to the stage, trumpeting the need and the necessity of receiving the cure. 
I liked best of all the alternating chapters between then and now, between Lena picking up the ragged pieces of her life in the Wilds after the events of Delirium, and the new, polished 'cured' life she lives. 

What I Didn't Like: I feel like the Julian bandwagon missed my stop because I had to run to catch up. It took a long time for me to like him in his role as political icon and in his role as a love interest, and I hadn't liked Alex much so I'm not sure why he couldn't step into that role. A book like this needs a love interest. Then just as I caught up and was getting a leg up, the whole bloody wagon crashed into a brick wall. 
It took a long time for Julian to blossom and I still think it had more to do with Lena's devotion to him, than his character, that bought me around. 

I'm not sure how I felt about the cliff hanger ending. I kind of saw it coming, and the cliche hurts me, but Oliver has been so creative so far that I don't want to doubt her now. Requiem will tell me what I need to know.
Raiding Bookshelves Rating
Cover Conversations: Not great, it doesn't really catch my eye or any particular essence of the story.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...