Saturday

Lola and the boy next door by Stephanie Perkins

Lola and the boy next door
Stephanie Perkins


Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion . . . she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit -- more sparkly, more fun, more wild -- the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.
When Cricket -- a gifted inventor -- steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door.

Original Language: English
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Country: United States
Publication Date: September 29, 2011
ISBN: 9780525423287
Page Count: 338


I just couldn't stay away! I didn't dive straight into it after Anna and the French Kiss (as much as I desperately wanted to) and I'm glad I took a moment away. I let myself read M.J Putney's latest YA release (review to come) in my breaks at uni yesterday...before starting Lola and the boy next door on the bus home.

I can't say I loved it, not the way I loved Anna and the French Kiss, but it was a great read. Unfortunately, reading it so soon after A&tFK meant I was constantly comparing the two. Which disappointed me a little thanks to the many similarities in the stories. Two people, desperately in love, and meant for each other, kept apart by a relationship with a controlling older partner. Both girls have 'burning lions' (thanks Alecks) and the boys' eyes bug out everytime their girl dresses up.

Basically, lots of hormones, lots of longing and a lot of drama. It doesn't matter though; Perkins makes up for the similarities through a gorgeous new cast (and a return of two very special favourites from A&tFK) who keep the grin on your face. Lola (born Dolores) has two gorgeous and very strict Dad's who are quite anti-boys...understandable once we learn about Lola's birth mother. What can you say about Norah? She's a pain in the ass, but I can't help liking her.

Lola's fashion sense is all kinds of awesome - who doesn't wish they could do whatever and not care - and her Marie Antoinette dress makes me ridiculously jealous. So does her admirer...Cricket Graham Bell, great-great something grandson of the 'inventor' of the telephone. He has some strange habits, the mind of a genius and one hell of a crush on Lola.

The story is a bit slow in places - especially with all the 'why me?' drama - but when everything pulls together in the end, it's hard to mind.
Raiding Bookshelves Rating
Judging by the cover: It's cute, and I love all the colours mashed into into the Lola models outfit without trying too hard. The Cricket (seriously...that's a name?) model seems too handsome, he needs to be Topher Grace cute and lanky.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...