Thursday

(Belated) Top Ten Tuesday: Books I wish I could reread for the first time

A fun new segment started by the book groupies over at The Broke and the Bookless who will post a new Top 10 list each week
I was considering this just the other day. I finished Anna and the French Kiss and couldn't remember the last time I'd enjoyed a book so much. So when I saw this meme I couldn't help but take it on board. So here are my ten from #10 down to my very favourite.

#10 Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery
Anne has been one of my favourite characters since I was a little girl. Her spunk, curiosity and thrist for knowledge made her an inspiration to me in my childhood. I still get a wonderful feeling of cosiness when I reread but I wish I could remember how I felt the first time Anne smashes her slate over Gilbert's head.

#9 Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
I first read Pride and Prejudice when I was about fifteen. I was starting my first literature class and wanted to prepare myself; I spent the summer reading all the Austen and Bronte novels I could get my hands on. Pride and Prejudice is definitely my favourite romance (though Persuasion and Wuthering Heights are better stories - shh don't tell Darcy). I know the story backwards, forwards and twisted in on itself. I remember reading it cover to cover on the plane home from Queensland and wish I could remember what I thought.

#8 The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
I read this book...two years ago? It was a set text for a fantasy narrative class and I did a ten minute presentation discussing how Fforde uses intertexuality and explaining how it reflected Jane Eyre. I was excited, passionate and astounded by how much I'd enjoyed the book. Unfortunately no one else has read it, or Jane Eyre and my excitement fell on mostly deaf ears.

#7 Ice Station by Matthew Reilly
I've been reading Reilly since I started highschool, and now, nine years later, I still get excited enough by a new release to reread all his other books. Ice Station was my first Reilly adventure and will probably always be my favourite for that reason. His latest book, another Scarecrow adventure, came out in Australian book stores today. I look forward to reading Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves so recapture that first read feeling.

#6 The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks
My Mum introduced me to the Shannara series about ten years ago and I've read it religiously since. At the time there were eight books in the series, today there are 22 as well as a short story and graphic novel. I've seen the publication of thirteen of those books, and enjoyed most of them as much as the first time I picked up the Sword of Shannara. I'll always associate that book with Avril Lavigne's Sk8r Boi which I was obsessed with at the time.

#5 Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody
I learn something new every time I reread Carmody's post-apocalyptic series, but there's I still lose something in knowing how it will all turn out (up to a point) and that almost makes it feel premeditated - or predictable - and Carmody's stories are too well written for that! 

#4 The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Gee whiz, there is something so special about this book! I read it for the first time at the start of the year and it still rocks my world. I'm hoping the movie will do the same thing - the cast looks impressive.

#3 Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Marillier is my favourite author and Daughter of the Forest is probably my favourite of all her books. It takes the story of the six swans and turns it into an epic tale. Her other fairytale rewrites, Heart's Blood and Wildwood Dancing are amazing as well.

#2 The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
There is no need to explain the overwhelming level of awesome in this trilogy. While the first book is undoubtedly the best and strongest, the trilogy as a whole shook me. It instilled in me a love of dystopian literature and a desire to write my own (don't hold your breath). I view the forthcoming movie with a wary eye.

#1 Harry Potter by J.K Rowling
These books were my childhood. When people tell me they haven't read the books (or at least watched the movies) I feel like I've walked into a wall. My boyfriend thinks he outgrew them around Order of the Phoenix (as if it's possible to outgrow Harry Potter) but he still enjoys the movies (or else he'd be very single) and his Mum is reading the books. She remembers giving up part way through Goblet of Fire but this time around she can barely put the book(s) down. I love her excitement (and being the only HP authority she knows) and find myself envying it a little.
I went to the shops at 7am on a Saturday morning for the release of Deathly Hallows and finished it before Mum got home from work that afternoon. Sometimes I wish I'd savoured the experience more.

I encourage everyone to try and pick up the books on my list. They are some of the most amazing books you will ever read. 

Until next week!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...