Sunday

April Book of the Month: A Discovery of Witches

Alright! Alright! I admit it! I'm been slack over the last few weeks. Between uni, work, volunteering and interning I haven't had the slightest inclination to blog. I have continued reading though, so have no fear, I will reach my intended goal for the year.

Moving on to the much delayed, and much enjoyed April BotM! I picked this up in passing, without really understanding what I had my hands on. Like most avid readers/ book bloggers, I have the writers bug and I love picking up encyclopaedia's. I have a shelf and a half full now and I pick up more all the time. So when I grabbed this book, I didn't actually read the blurb properly and just chucked it in my pile. Lucky I did or I might have missed one of the best supernatural books I have ever read.

A Discover of Witches by Deborah Harkness
A richly inventive novel about a centuries-old vampire, a spellbound witch, and the mysterious manuscript that draws them together. 
Deep in the stacks of Oxford's Bodleian Library, young scholar Diana Bishop   unwittingly calls up a bewitched alchemical manuscript in the course of her research. Descended from an old and distinguished line of witches, Diana wants nothing to do with sorcery; so after a furtive glance and a few notes, she banishes the book to the stacks. But her discovery sets a fantastical underworld stirring, and a horde of daemons, witches, and vampires soon descends upon the library. Diana has stumbled upon a coveted treasure lost for centuries-and she is the only creature who can break its spell. 
Debut novelist Deborah Harkness has crafted a mesmerizing and addictive read, equal parts history and magic, romance and suspense. Diana is a bold heroine who meets her equal in vampire geneticist Matthew Clairmont, and gradually warms up to him as their alliance deepens into an intimacy that violates age-old taboos. This smart, sophisticated story harks back to the novels of Anne Rice, but it is as contemporary and sensual as the Twilight series-with an extra serving of historical realism.
Keep watching for my review and I'm sorry I'm so far behind!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...