Sunday

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong

#18 of 200

Original Language: English
Publisher: HarperCollins (Imprint: HarperTeen)
Country: United States
Publication Date: July 2008
ISBN: 0061662690
Page Count: 400
My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again.
All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary.
I don’t even know what that means anymore.
It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me.
Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won’t leave me alone.
To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a “special home” for troubled teens.
Yet the home isn’t what it seems.
Don’t tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye.
The question is, whose side are they on?
It’s up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House … before its skeletons come back to haunt me…
The thing is how do I know who’s on my side or who’s betraying me?

Kelley Armstrong’s latest supernatural series for young adults is the Darkest Powers trilogy series. The first book, The Summoning, was released in 2008 and follows the adventure of 15 year old Chloe Saunders as puberty hits, brining much more than monthly cramps and a few pimples.
Armstrong’s latest series are aimed at a younger audience than her Women of the Other World series, with much younger protagonists and less violent action. Chloe Saunders sees ghosts and when she starts seeing spectres unexpectedly when her period starts, she takes it badly. Chloe ends up in a group home, Llye House, where she is diagnosed with schizophrenia and now lives with 5 other troubled teens.

Chloe is a fun protagonist. She has all the fears and concerns of a normal fifteen year old girl. Is my homework done? Why am I developing slower than everyone else? Do boys notice me? Yet, in developing Chloe, Armstrong hasn’t created the commonly found ‘ditzy’ and boy crazed teen than many YA writers do. Chloe is down to earth, she is serious about getting better and she accepts her circumstances.

Armstrong’s style is great. The Summoning is written in first person, encompassing the chatty and quirky nature of Chloe’s personality. Using Chloe to tell the story makes it easier to relate to and funnier than the omnipotent observations of an absent narrator.

The Summoning is the first book in the Darkest Arts trilogy, beginning the trilogy with the how of Chloe’s powers and adventures. The Summoning shows the development, and Chloe’s acceptance of the supernatural world, preparing the way for further adventures in The Awakening (my review) and the Reckoning (my review).
Raiding Bookshelves Rating

Judging by the Cover: At first I didn’t really think of the cover as suitable for the novel. I like covers that incorporate several aspects of the story and twine them together. But as I finished the Summoning and began the Awakening, and then noticed the cover of the Reckoning, I saw an interesting pattern. The model on the covers is the same person. Not only is she the same person, but she is holding the same necklace; interesting, considering the stone is a different colour on each cover. The positioning of the model looks great too, when the covers are side by side.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...